Bakewell is a small beautiful town included in the Peak District National Park in Derbyshire Dales, England. The town is located at abt 40 mins drive from Sheffield, the city where hub n I did our undergraduate studies. Till today, I still have very fresh memories of this quaint serene town and how much i had enjoyed sitting by the riverside, and have fish n chips. Hub and I would buy many loaves of expired bread from a nearby supermarket and feed the feathered birds along the river. The experience was, well, very unique; being surrounded by packs of bird who wld peck you anytime when they see/smell the bread in your hand, and my hub (as usual) wld scare me by enticing more birds to come.
If you r imagining how this town looks like, it's exactly like how Hans Andersen described in his fairy tales. very English. The place is famous for their special shortcrust or flaky pastry filled with a layer of jam and sponge almond cake. While the filling for both is the same, the shortcrust pastry is referred as Bakewell tart, and the flaky as Bakewell pudding.
Not that i'm a huge fan of Bakewell tart/pudding, but everytime i make them, i sort of remind myself to put in more effort to save money to visit the town again. LOL. I know someone wld laugh at this. Haha. I am.
Instead of using strawberry jam, i improvised by using blueberry and a more buttery not so spongy frangipane. I think shortcrust pastry is less fattening or lower in calories as compared with the flaky ones (although they probably r the same), hence tart is more towards my liking than pudding. I am not an icing fan either, n sliced almonds are definitely a better alternative.



No comments:
Post a Comment