The BJ 2008 Olympics finally ended last night. Mr PA thinks the closing ceremony was a bit on the complicated side whereas I like the part where they formed the human logo on the tower, which I thought was really really COOL. Hehe, one thing he was right was that the opening ceremony did present a more significant meaning in comparison to the closing although I had a hard time understanding it (hehe). I guess a grand opening is very necessary, not only as an introductory and symbol of warmness, magnificence and splendor of the country, but because people tend to judge from the cover......Confusing sentence, nevertheless China has done a great job!
Well, I didn’t manage to make the muk shu gao, coz the tapioca flour at home has expired, which I didn’t realize until I started laying out the ingredients. (Look at how determined I am…:-P). As a result, I ended up baking Layered Cake, or Kek Lapis, with san char (haw flakes). I have been dreading to bake this cake for a long long time, but have been postponing it due to cost and time. Kek Lapis or Layered Cake is one of S'wak’s famous local delights. If you happen to visit S’wak, you may want to try them because they’re really good! Originated from the Kalimantan side, this cake is always brightly coloured and diversed in shape and pattern , but mind you, they are labour and cost intensive (very!). The making process of the cake is a delicate and time consuming one, which requires lotsa patience..and therefore is often more expensive as compared with other cakes (even to cheesecakes). S'wak layered cakes today have slowly evolved into its own unique style, taste and characteristic. One of favourites is the one with lotsa san char..and that was why i decided to start with this recipe!
So yesterday was my first time! (Hip hip hurray!) Though the result was not very good and still very "least" comparable to the ones in S'wak, I’m glad that everyone agreed it is better than the ones mom bought in Bali! Will improve further and who knows I’ll be opening a bakery that emphasizes M’sian and Chinese pastries/desserts and snacks? I promise to upload the pictures tomorrow!
Well, I didn’t manage to make the muk shu gao, coz the tapioca flour at home has expired, which I didn’t realize until I started laying out the ingredients. (Look at how determined I am…:-P). As a result, I ended up baking Layered Cake, or Kek Lapis, with san char (haw flakes). I have been dreading to bake this cake for a long long time, but have been postponing it due to cost and time. Kek Lapis or Layered Cake is one of S'wak’s famous local delights. If you happen to visit S’wak, you may want to try them because they’re really good! Originated from the Kalimantan side, this cake is always brightly coloured and diversed in shape and pattern , but mind you, they are labour and cost intensive (very!). The making process of the cake is a delicate and time consuming one, which requires lotsa patience..and therefore is often more expensive as compared with other cakes (even to cheesecakes). S'wak layered cakes today have slowly evolved into its own unique style, taste and characteristic. One of favourites is the one with lotsa san char..and that was why i decided to start with this recipe!
So yesterday was my first time! (Hip hip hurray!) Though the result was not very good and still very "least" comparable to the ones in S'wak, I’m glad that everyone agreed it is better than the ones mom bought in Bali! Will improve further and who knows I’ll be opening a bakery that emphasizes M’sian and Chinese pastries/desserts and snacks? I promise to upload the pictures tomorrow!

No comments:
Post a Comment